Monday, November 28, 2011

Sip Guru: DIY Chai Tea Bags by Micalah from Project Run&Play

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
(I know we sure did!)

We were a bit busy while we were away...


Our fam decided to do our own "Turkey Trot Wobble" 5k around the park on Thanksgiving morning...



...And we were featured on Kojodesigns for their Gifts for Guys Series (why are boys so dang hard to shop/make for??) with some Whiskey Flavored Salted Caramels...




...and mostly just hung out with family, ate lots, played games, and of course, went shopping... 
This is seriously the only picture I took through the whole holiday and I took it tonight with Adam's cell phone just before we left his parents house, so sorry for the blurriness and poor quality).

But now we're back. Well, kind of.
We're here today just long enough to introduce the founder of one of our favorite blogs:
Project Run&Play
We think it's such a genius idea for an online contest and love checking it out during each season to be sure to vote for our favorites!
it's a little addicting actually.

Recently Kedron showed you how to make homemade Chai.
Well, today, Micalah is going to show you her recipe for homemade chai and how to make them into tea bags! (what a fun gift idea!)
Micalah is great and we're excited to share her recipe for homemade chai tea bags with you today:


Hey! I'm Micalah and you may know me as the founder of Project Run&Play (although, probably not- I stayed mostly behind the scenes). I got to know Kirstin during the first cycle when she was part of Team Kojo, and again when they guest posted for Boys Week this last cycle. I was so excited when she approached me with the opportunity to guest post for Sips, Etc. What a great idea for a blog! And, as a former barista, and wife of one of the biggest coffee snobs EVER, I have a few yummy warm drink recipes up my sleeve. I was really torn on what to share though- lattes can be difficult to make at home, everyone has a favorite hot cocoa recipe, and I've already spotted several apple cider recipes this season. Then it hit me- chai.
I never liked chai until I started working at a coffee shop a few years ago. They made their own chai (as opposed to a syrup or powder) with real spices and it makes all the difference! It is a really flexible recipe- you can brew it as tea, steam (or froth) it with some milk for a latte, or brew it and chill it for an iced tea or latte. This recipe makes 1 serving, but you can easily make multiple batches. You can also adjust the spices to your preference.
1 tsp cloves + 1/2 tsp sugar + 1/4 tsp pepper (I know it sounds weird but it gives it a special kick) + 1/4 tsp ginger + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + a sprinkle of nutmeg
I used a Lipton black tea, but you can use any black tea (even loose leaf if you want to make your own bag). Cut off the sealed top and tag.
I mix the spices together in a small measuring cup with a spout to make it easier to pour.
Pour into either side of the open tea bag. I try to split it up pretty evenly.

I made my own pretty tag with two pieces of scrapbook paper glued together with a piece of cotton crochet thread in between.
I made a small loop at the end of the thread and tucked it into the tea bag (and, yes, spilled spices all over my machine). This ensures that the thread will catch. Using the zipper presser foot and a small stitch length (I set my machine to 2), I sewed the top of the tea bag closed.
All done! Boil some water, brew for 3-5 minutes, add some honey and/or milk, and enjoy! Or make a couple and wrap them up with a pretty mug for a gift for a friend!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment